Thursday, April 15, 2010

Preparation in progress...

Speech Topic: Pop art and artists including Andy Warhol

Purpose: The purpose of my speech is to inform my audience about contemporary art. I was to describe what pop art is and how unique it is. I want to include information about Andy Warhol and his work. He is my favorite pop artist. I want to describe some pieces of his work: what he is trying to accomplish and people’s reaction to him.

Research:
-Pop artists want to confront directly materialism, consumerism, militarism, nationalism
-frank naturalism
-mass media imagery
-"Pop artists did images that anybody walking down Broadway could recognize in a split second-comics, picnic tables, men's trousers, celebrities, shower curtains, refrigerators, coke bottles- all the great modern things that Abstract Impressionists tried so hard not to notice." - Andy Warhol
-subjects w/in the immediate enviornment through depersonalization
-stuff that isn't art that they turn into art after being blown up and reproduced
-ex: Andy Warhol's Campbells Soup Cans
-studios become same space where garbage form the street can be found
-looking at common culture and taking it seriously for visual form
-superficiality
-withdrawl of artist's insersion of themselves: taking the artist out of the art
-Interests of Warhol: repetition, superficiality, and surface: rachism, violence, leagalized violence, state authorized death, accidental death, celbrity death/suicide
loneliness

Mansfield, Elizabeth C. and H.H. Arnason. History of Modern Art. New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc., 2010.

This is just some of my research. I'm in the process of constructing my outlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment